Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Start of Four Fabulous Years

Year: 2004
Age: 19
College: Freshman

As a child, I always dreamed of going to The University of Alabama. When it came time to apply for colleges, I applied to UA and only UA. Thankfully, I got in...and so began a wonderful college career. If you started reading this blog before November, then you know that I have a niece that I absolutely ADORE. It seems like every time I see her, she's learned 500 new things. Kids change so much over the course of those first 4 years. The same was true for me when I was in college.

Greek Life isn't for everybody, but without a doubt, it is one of the things that I most thankful that I had the opportunity to participate in. I won't go so far to say that I loved every minute of it. At first, it was a bit of a culture shock. I was used to a class of 72....I joined a sorority with just under 200 girls. I knew I wanted to make a difference, but in order to do that, I was stretched to the limit both personally and spiritually. I'm so thankful for the girls that poured into me that first year. As I watched them lead with care and confidence, I was encouraged to do the same.


Most of the girls lived in Tutwiler...a dorm 13 stories high that houses about 1000 girls. I'm sure it was a great place to live, but I am mighty thankful that I didn't have to call Tut home. With just 3 stories and about 200 people, New Hall was much more my style. I loved the older style and my roomie and I lucked out (for the most part, I'd say we lucked out) and got a suite. The dorm had such a family feel. Sometimes I wish I had stayed there for more than just one year. Here are a few pictures with some of my favorite NH friends. The first is with my roomie, Lauren. I won't go into how we ended up rooming together...Lauren's version is much better...but I couldn't have asked for a better roomie. The next photo is with Jessie and Katie. If I wasn't in my room, you could usually find me with these two...somebody had to make sure their beds got made and their dishes got washed!
Freshman year was really special. I loved meeting new people and developing relationships with them. I can't list all of the relationships that began that year because I know I would miss too many of them. Since I love to play pretend, let's just pretend that I did make such a list. If I did, Beth, Natalie and Jessie would definitely be one it. The four of us lived in the same dorm that first year and just had fun doing life together. Before we headed home for the summer, we went out for breakfast at The Waysider...a special time that I hope I'll always remember.

No comments: