Thursday, November 13, 2008

9th grade...the start of 4 wonderful years

Year: 2000
Age: 15
Grade: 9th

How long did you spend trying to decide what to wear on the first day back to school? Thinking back, it sounds trivial, but I remember looking for the "perfect shirt" the entire summer before I started high school. Why did I spend so much time on that one outfit? I can pretty much guarantee that nobody remembers what I wore on my first day of highschool...besides me! So, here' s the first day photo. I started high school and my younger sister started middle school. This was also the first year that Maggie was around to be in the picture.

High school is the start of many things. Growing up, I always enjoyed my high school's homecoming...the bonfire, floats, the homecoming court all dressed up and a parade with candy. When 9th grade came around and I was finally able to work on a float with my class, I was thrilled. I wasn't the most creative or handy person, but my classmates were, and we ended up placing first in the competition. We weren't so lucky the remaining three years, but we can say that we were the first class in years (maybe even ever) to sweep the standings, as we got 2nd, 3rd and 4th places the following years.


I'm usually a pretty good at saving my money. After all, you never know when you may need it. But every now and then, I find myself spending it on something that is totally not necessary. In high school, I paid $12 a year for these crazy "friends" pictures. I never really liked any of them...and I still have every picture. I mean, who are you supposed to give a "friends" picture to when all your friends already got them?!?! It was a waste of money that the photographers knew we would fall for every year. Everyone knows that if you don't pay the money to be in the picture than you're not popular...so it meant a waste of $48 for me. In order try to make the expense count for something, I'll finish off the next few years with the yearly "friend" picture.

No comments: