Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day


I have already written a post today that used up all of my tears...so I will have to save the mushy Father's Day stuff for another time.

But, I couldn't let the day pass by without giving a little blog space to my Dad.


Yesterday, I found myself in a pool. Surrounded my children and 4 dads. Those 4 dads are in a different stage of life than my dad is. Those dads have young children. One of those dads has 3 girls, just like mine. Those dads were catching their kids as they jumped off the side of the pool...flipping them off of the rafts...throwing them into the deep end.

I had a flashback. A flashback to Fort Walton Beach...El Matador...my Dad was doing the same thing. Like those dads yesterday, I know he was tired after throwing us the first 10 times, but he continued to do it another 50 just to make us smile and squeal with delight.


When I was a kid I had the greatest Dad ever...he came to watch my softball games, signed the perfect attendance notes from the Superintendent not as "Lynn Smith" but as "Dad," took me to the grocery store with him every Saturday, let me "drive" around the block after church, and made the best pancakes in the world.

I still have the greatest Dad ever, but I have a lot of new reasons why. He puts God first, my mom second and his three girls third. He showed me how to budget my money so that I don't have to worry even though in a few short weeks I will be jobless. He doesn't judge others EVER. He encourages my dreams. And...he makes the best pancakes ever.

Happy Father's Day, Dad! I love you so much!!

No comments: