Thursday, February 26, 2009

Two Places at Once

I remember learning about the words omnipresent, omnipotent and omniscient when I was in the 6th grade. Mr. Jamie and Ms. Becky asked if I would be willing to help them with a skit for Children's Church. I'm not going to lie...I jumped at the opportunity to do something other than "big church" for the week.

As a 12 year old, I was pretty intrigued with the whole idea of God being omnipresent, omnipotent and omniscient. At different times in my life, I've wanted to be present in all places, all powerful or all knowing. Right now, I am wishing I was omnipresent.

My bestest friend in the entire world is getting MARRIED on Saturday. To say I'm thrilled would be quite the understatement. I'm actually driving over in an hour so I can be there to help...and then there is quite the lineup of events to attend. I've been looking forward to it for months...I can hardly wait!!

It would have been WONDERFUL if Natalie's wedding was the ONLY thing going on this weekend, but that was not the case. At the same time, a group of about 175 students, leaders and volunteers will be in my hometown participating in a Disciple Now weekend through my church.

I love Disciple Now. Loved it as a teen and love it even more as a leader. As a leader you have the opportunity to speak truth to a group of teenagers, listen, answer questions, guide them, cry with them, lead them into a deeper more intimate relationship with The Heavenly Father. My heart breaks that I can't be there with those kids...many of whom I used to take care of. I hate that I'm not able to be there, but that's just how it is.

Don't get me wrong. I know the place I need to be is right beside my best friend and that's RIGHT WHERE I WANT TO BE. Really, I would NOT HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY.

In fact, if you want to know the truth. I'm glad that it worked out that both events happened at the same time. Why? Because I have been able to see growth in myself. I love it when we have the chance to see that we are learning! You see, last year I wasn't able to attend Disciple Now either. I was gone that weekend for work. I hated to miss it, but I didn't think much about it. When I found out the weekend coincided with Natalie's wedding; I knew I wasn't going to be able to help. However,this year, instead of just saying I wasn't able to be there I the Lord showed me that I could chose to help in another way and that's what I'm doing. I may not be leading a group, but I'm praying like it's my job. Literally, I have challenged myself to pray as though hired for the weekend to pray over those kids, homes, speakers, worship leaders and volunteers. I am praying that every person involved will ENCOUNTER the Heavenly Father like they never have before. Praying they will see that living for Christ is more than having a knowledge of Him. It is taking that knowledge and putting some ACTIONS with it.

I don't have the ability to be in more than one place at a time, but my heart does...and this weekend part of it will be in Brewton, Alabama and the other part will be in Hattiesburg, Mississippi.

No comments: