Saturday, February 21, 2009

Leaving a Legacy

Exactly one month ago, I was sitting in a church. Normally, I love going to church, but this was a little different. This time, I was there not for a worship service or wedding, I was attending a funeral. Though the church was large, it packed with family and friends of Pete Pierson. Many called referred to him as "Coach Pete," but he was always Uncle Pete to me.

Uncle Pete was special. He loved the Lord with all of his heart and his actions reflected that. He never met a stranger. He lived out The Great Commission. He never had anything bad to say about anyone.

As I listened, I thought to myself, When I die, what would others say about me? Then I began to make a list of things that I would want them to say about me. I don't know how much longer I have on this earth; I pray that it is many years. However, we are not guaranteed tomorrow, and I am beginning to realize that though I am 24, I am already building a legacy.

So, what kind of legacy am I building? What do I want others to say about me? There are many things on my list, but towards the top is "She was a woman of prayer." Take a minute and think about it. I'm sure you can think of at least one person that you have met over the years that you would say is a woman of prayer. I've met a lot of these ladies in my lifetime and they never cease to amaze me.

I desire that in every situation---joyous or bleak---my first response would be to pray. Prayer isn't scary. In fact, it is just the act of communicating with our Heavenly Father. Sometimes prayer is spoken aloud, sometimes it is in your heart and sometimes it is written down...but they are all forms of prayer.

The Lord has really been working with me in this area the past few months. I'm finding how much more fulfilling it is to pray when you pray specifically. So, as I've been talking with friends and family I have been asking them...how can I pray for you specifically this week? Oh my goodness...it is so rewarding to pray for people specifically. There is just something about knowing that I am standing in the gap for family and friends. In the past few months, I have seen Him do some incredible things, and not just in my life...or my friends' lives...or in the lives of those I know.

Have you seen the button on the side that says "Praying for Harper?" If you haven't before, I encourage you to click on that button and read through some of her posts...especially the ones starting on January 16. What a privilege it was to lift up that little Harper...daughter of Scott and Kelly...none of whom I have ever met.

Let me be the first to say that I'm NOT a woman of prayer yet. In fact, just today one of those sweet friends that I call weekly to ask about her specific prayers called me and said "umm, yesterday was Thursday and you didn't call and ask me how you could pray for me this week." She's right, and I had no excuse. I totally forgot. Whoops. Yet even in that, I was thankful. Though she didn't say it with words, her actions showed that she knew her requests weren't falling on deaf ears. She knew that those specific requests were being lifted up to the Father.

Lord, thank you for putting in me the desire to be a woman of prayer. I pray that I will be faithful to call upon your name first, no matter the situation.

No comments: