Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Sweet Home Atlanta

One of the best things about being a 26 year old single lady is the ability to use my vacation days the way I want to use them. I realized a few days ago that the end of the year will be here before I know it...and just as quickly, my vacation days for the year will pretty much vanish. No rollover. Not wanting them to go to waste, I decided that I would use the days to see some of my favorite people. After all, it is the season for thankfulness and giving.

I took my first vacation day today and made the drive to Atlanta. Atlanta was the first place I lived after graduating and some of my favorite memories involve the people that I met while living there.

When I lived in Atlanta, at least one day a week, I found myself baby-sitting some precious little girls. They weren't sisters, but they often acted as if they were. Their parents were in a church small group together and I was the lucky one that got to watch them each week. When I moved away, my worst fear was that they would forget who I was. Thankfully, their sweet moms have done their best to make sure that doesn't happen.

I loved spending my morning with Courtney and her precious girls E and L. Usually when I'm baby-sitting, I'm doing just that...taking care of the kids. Today was so special because I got to take care of the girls while Courtney ran to the store, but I also got to spend some time with Courtney. I loved being able to see her in mommy action. For as long as I've known her, she's been a FABULOUS mom, but seeing her in action with those two little ones just made my heart smile. She's the BEST! We laughed. We read books. We danced. We sang songs---complete with pretend microphones. It was a day that I hope I never forget!

at the New Yorker Deli


winding down before nap time....pictures like this make me want to pack up my stuff and move right back to Atlanta!

The original plan was to visit with Katie and her precious girls EK and H, but a stomach bug decided to work it's way through their house, so we decided to put that visit off until the next time I come. Katie did send me a picture of EK after she heard that I wouldn't be able to come though.


One of the other pros to going to Atlanta today was getting to see Sara. Sara was one of the first people that I met when I moved to Atlanta. We had some great times when we were interns. It's amazing that they didn't fire us before the summer was over...and that they hired me. We've both moved on from that job, but thankfully the friendship has only deepened. While we haven't seen each other in over a year, the second I walked in the door, we picked up right where we left off. Good conversations. Good laughs. Good hugs.


typical Sara

This trip was extra fun because Sara had a special guest visiting for Thanksgiving. After hearing about Anthony for so long, it was great to get to finally meet him. We bonded over being the middle child...and shared common tastes in beverages. It really was perfect.


I wrapped up my trip with a quick Christen visit---can't believe we didn't get a picture, friend! Christen and I lived together for a year in Atlanta, and I honestly don't know what I would have done without her. In so many ways, we are at the same place in life and it was great to be able to catch up on each other's latest news.

All in all, I'd say this vacation day was a success. These last few months have been crazy with work and time spent with good friends...and precious little ones...was exactly what I needed. Getting to see them in one of my old "hometowns" made it even more special.

Now I just have to decide where my next trip will be. :)

2 comments:

*christen said...

for the record....i'd be totally fine if you decided to pack up your stuff & move back to atlanta. i'd also drive my happy butt over to birmingham & help you move.

Daily Tales of Sugar and Spice said...

agreed! puhlease move back. so great to see you.