Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Love or Fear

My friend Caroline is a nurse. A night nurse to be exact. Sure, it means that it is a little difficult to align our schedules for chats, but it also means that whenever she is working I will be greeted with some goodness that is her facebook status when I wake in the morning. Sometimes it's a quote. Sometimes it's a verse. Sometimes it's a thought. Always it is refreshing. Always I count my blessings that I have her in my life.

I woke up this past Sunday to see that her status had been updated with a Henri Nowen quote. I knew the status would be a good one. Upon reading it, I immediately related to it, jotted it down and haven't been able to get it out of my mind since.

To wait open-endedly is an enormously radical attitude toward life. So is it to trust that something will happen to us far beyond our imaginings. So, too, is giving up control over our future and letting God define our life, trusting that God molds us according to HIS love and NOT according to our fear. -Henri Nowen

That is the place that I am in. At this point in my life, I am in a season of open-ended waiting. I am being forced to trust. I am making the not always easy choice to give up control of my future and allowing God to mold me. So, on the days that I feel like giving into the fear and taking over the reigns...you know, the days like today...I will pull out the index card with this little quote...reread it...and choose to give God free reign to mold me according to His love.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

amen girl! me too! LOVE U ---caroline

AnnieBlogs said...

Um. Have we already discussed that I know Caroline? Because I. DO. And I LOVE her.

Cile said...

So a big thanks to Caroline and to you! Great quote that really puts into words the perspective that God is trying to get through my thick skull. And in the words of Andy Andrews' new book The Noticer, sometimes we just need to change our perspective.

Sara said...

Thank you for posting this. It really spoke to me and is exactly what I need to hear right now. Thank you! Following your blog!

Sara

www.savvystitcher.etsy.com
www.savvystitcher.blogspot.com

G. L. said...

Absolutely, and Amen.

-grace