Saturday, May 3, 2008

The best teachers

I can't imagine what life would be like without children. I don't have any of my own, but I have been blessed with a precious niece, Emma Kate. With beautiful blue eyes and golden blonde hair that curls just perfectly at the ends, she just has the way of brightening up even the yuckiest times in life. Sadly, she lives 4 hours away and I don't always get to see her on those crummy days. Thank goodness baby-sitters are still needed!

Children can teach us so many things. Last night I was baby-sitting for a precious 20 month old--Emma Kate. Not my niece, but she is every bit worthy of the name "Emma Kate." As we played with bubbles, sang songs, had bathtime and read books, she reminded me in her own gentle way to live in the present. Children don't bask in the past---the don't remember it. Children don't worry about the future--they can't fathom it. They've got Matthew 6:25 and Luke 11:3 down! It's too bad that when we grow up, we become aware of the concepts of past and future and forget all about those days when we were children and living in the present.

I can't mention my niece without showing you a few pictures. The first one is of my niece and my fabulous sister, her Mom, on Easter. The second one is a little bit dated, but one of my favorites.


No comments: