Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Happy Half Pre-Birthday

October 14. Six months from now, the date will be April 14. April 14 is Natalie’s due date. I’m a fan of the half birthday. Technically, this isn’t Baby Berry’s half birthday…but I guess you could say it is Berry’s half pre-birthday. Right?

If you don’t agree, that’s fine. It’s my blog…and I say it is. :)

Natalie doesn’t know this…well, I guess she is about to know, because she reads this blog…but I’ve been writing little notes to Berry ever since she told me the news. Don’t get too excited. I’m not sharing those with you.

But, it honor of the half pre, I am going to give you a little peek into some of the thoughts that have gone into a few of those notes…

I remember the feeling I got when my sister first told me that she was going to have a baby. I remember the rush of emotions. The elation. The excitement of knowing that I would be an Aunt.

When Natalie first told me that she was going to have a baby, my mind went right back there. I know this little one won’t share my same blood line...but the emotions that I feel are so similar. Sometimes, I think I may even have a little more excitement.

Wait. Did I just say that I’m more excited about my best friend’s baby than my own niece. That doesn’t sound right. Let me explain. I was thrilled beyond belief when I found out that I was going to be an Aunt…but now, almost 4 years later, I know what it feels like to be an Aunt. I know the love that a child you help to mold can bring. I know the excitement that comes with all things baby…and toddler..and preschooler.

It’s not that I am more happy that Natalie is pregnant…it’s just that now, I have an idea of how fun this next chapter of life is going to be and I’m super excited about it.

I lived about an hour from my niece when she was born…and recently lived almost five hours away. It made visits less frequent than I would like. Add the fact of being a mere 15 minutes away from baby Berry to the knowledge of what it feels like to love and be loved by a child and it just gets me all giddy inside.

I find myself thinking about life with Berry all the time. Playing scenarios over in my head. Hey, I love to play me some pretend!

My favorite little scenario as of late looks something like this. Getting off of work. Driving over to Natalie, Scott and Berry’s place. Bringing over a fun little dessert. Convincing them to take some time for themselves to go out on a little date. Holding, feeding, changing, playing with and singing to their little one.

Oh…it’s going to be good. April just can’t get here fast enough.

Confidential to Berry: Happy Half Pre-Birthday! Just so you know, you don’t have to wait 6 months to make your appearance…you can come a tad earlier if you’d like…just make sure you’re good and healthy first!

No comments: