Wednesday, October 7, 2009

First weekend of October

Traditions.  I like them.  A lot.  There are lots of things that I do, say, eat…just because I’ve always done it that way.  The funny thing about most of the traditions in my life is that they have been along for so long that I don’t really remember how they started. 

I love Wednesday. I’m pretty sure my love for Wednesday began in preschool.  We sang a special song and said “happy hump day.”  I loved that song.  For as long as I can remember I have shared my love for Wednesdays with some of my friends.  I call/text/email them just to say Happy Hump Day.  Weird, I know..but, it’s kind of tradition…and when I don’t send the messages, my I often get a call or two from my friends asking why.

My favorite birthday treat is yellow box cake cupcakes with the pink strawberry icing from the can and the cheap-o sprinkles.  No, it’s not my favorite treat…far from it…but it is my favorite birthday treat.  I don’t remember the first time that my mom made the cupcakes for my birthday, but I know my birthday isn’t the same without them.

Last year, I went to Boston over the first weekend of October.  This year, I did the same thing.  While there, I decided that this was a new tradition that I was going to be adding to my list.  I even told my friend Sara that if she ever moved, we would both be coming back the first weekend of October for a yearly reunion. 

My little vacay to Boston was wonderful last year and it did not disappoint this year either.  The fall weather was perfect.  I was able to get some use out of my favorite accessory—the scarf, and as always…time with my best buddy left my heart happy.  The only problem is we were so busy hanging out, relaxing and having fun that we forgot to take pictures.  Well…I do have a few…but they pale in comparison to the 100 or so that we took last year. 

 IMG_2289

One of the things I love most about visiting a friend in another city is that they already know about it.  They know where to eat. Where to walk. No maps required.  Sara totally knows her city.  The first night we went to an Italian restaurant called Sonsi.  Oh my goodness, it was good, and the atmosphere made it even better.  We sat and chatted for over an hour before heading back for a relaxing evening at her new little abode in Beacon Hill. 

IMG_2290

It rained most of the day on Saturday, but it didn’t slow us down a bit.  We had a delicious brunch at the Beacon Hill Hotel and Bistro.  If you are EVER in Boston, this is a MUST.  The best vanilla bean pancakes you have EVER tasted.  After breakfast, we made our way over to the Museum of Fine Art.  It was the perfect way to spend a rainy morning and it kept us busy until right around 2:45.  We had 45minutes to get to Cleary’s to watch the UGA/LSU game…it was going  to be close, but Sara managed to make it so that our walking route took us right by my favorite places in Boston…Sweet…home to super yummy cupcakes.  We tasted of the goodness and even made it to Cleary’s in time for kickoff.  As you can see from the picture, we were decked out in our Georgia gear…but sadly, they were not able to pull out a win.  We drowned our sorrows in some yummy Mexican and finished the night chatting on a rooftop deck overlooking Boston.  It was perfect.

IMG_2291 

I don’t like Sundays in Boston because that’s the day that I leave, but since I had a late night flight out, we were able to pack the day with fun.  Church in the morning was whoa good.  Then we made our way over to the North End to grab some pizza and a cannoli from Mike’s Pastry…another Boston must.  The weather was perfect, so we took our pastry to go and walked down to the harbor.  I hated to leave…but work was calling my name…and laundry was calling Sara’s name. :)

IMG_2293

IMG_2294

In case you were wondering, this is what 2 months worth of clothes looks like.  While I was there, I saw her put all of it into washing machines.  Mission accomplished. 

 

Confidential to Sholcomb:  See you next October, buddy.  Well, I better be seeing you before that, but next October for sure.  Love your city.  Love you.  Thanks for being such a fabulous hostess!!

No comments: