Friday, January 16, 2009

Getting knocked down with truth and love

When I moved to the big city, everybody asked me “how long does it take you to get to work?” Well…thankfully, I’m usually going in the opposite direction from the majority of the drivers so traffic isn’t that big of an issue. However, it still takes me about 30 minutes to get to work each morning. At first I found this frustrating, but it has become one of my favorite parts of the day.

My morning routine usually involves me cranking up the Praise and Worship music…nothing like a little Chris Tomlin, Hillsong or Aaron Keyes to get me ready for the day. Today was a little different because as soon as I cranked up my car, my phone started making noises. When my phone starts buzzing that early in the morning, 99% of time it is either my sister or my sweet friend, Natalie.

This morning was no different. When I picked up my phone I saw a a short message from Natalie that said, “Read the Spurgeon today. It will knock you down with truth and love.” I could hardly wait to get into work so I could read what it had to say.

For those of you that have never heard of Spurgeon, Charles Spurgeon is said to have been one of the most influential preachers and teacher of all time. He’s the real deal. Google him…you’ll see what I mean. He had so many good things to say that there is a Spurgeon archive with a new mediation for each day…a wonderful thing to add to your morning!

Just so you know, I did get knocked down by truth and love. But…there’s nobody that I’d rather be knocked down by than My Savior.


As I reflect on the teaching this morning, I am thankful and challenged.

Thankful for a friend that constantly encourages me on this faith journey
Challenged to be more of that to her.

Thankful for a Lord that hears even my faintest call.
Challenged to call to Him without hesitation in all circumstances.

1 comment:

Tales of a Peanut said...

Thanks for sharing!! That's a great devotion. Have a great day!