Sunday, January 10, 2010

Remember the Rose Bowl

I called my Dad frantically on December 5. Alabama was beating Florida in the SEC Championship and it looked as if we would be headed to the Rose Bowl. I wasn't able to get to a computer, so I needed him to do me a favor and book my plane ticket to the west coast. It took a little convincing. Since it was only the 3rd quarter, he wasn't quite as confident as I was, but by the end of the game, I could proudly proclaim that I would be going to California. It would take a few more days to find out if I got tickets to actually go to the game...thankfully, I did. :)

The trip out there was definitely one for the books. I'm so happy that I was able to cross Rose Bowl off of my bucket list. I've been an Alabama fan my entire life and for the longest time, I was afraid I would never get the chance to see my team play there. Now that the BCS is part of college football, the SEC gets the chance...but only every 4 years. Those aren't great odds, but apparently, they were just good enough.

Once I got to California, I met up with my friend Kevin. It was great to have someone else in charge of getting me places! I just gave the address and he figured it out. Loved it! Our flights came in the day of the game, so we didn't have a ton of time to walk around before, but I was just happy that we were there before the kickoff.

We got a great parking place about 5 minutes from the stadium and began our walk. I don't think I've ever anticipated seeing something as much as I anticipated seeing the Rose Bowl. That's probably why when I turned the corner and saw this sign, I almost started hyperventilating. No, but really.


Cell phone service was real spotty...not good when you're trying to meet up with people. So thankful that my calls were able to be received by sweet Abby. It had been almost a month since I had seen her last, so I was uber excited to find her! Isn't she just the cutest little Alabama fan??


Once we got into the stadium, it was even better than I could have ever imagined. I know it's called the Rose BOWL..but now I know why. It really is like a big bowl. Not near as high up as most of the stadiums that I've been to, but incredibly deep.

There were a few moments when things got pretty intense, but for the most part, I found myself enjoying it all and soaking it all up. I mean, it's not everyday that you get to watch your team win a National Championship...though, I'm hoping that this is something that we will get to do a lot more!


Thanks to my wonderful grandfather, we had excellent seats. I loved being able to sit with my grandparents, uncle and cousin. The reason I love Alabama so much is because of my family. It was only fitting that we cheer our team on sitting together. ROLL TIDE!!




No comments: