Sunday, August 16, 2009

Oh Happy Bid Day

This past week was lacking in sleep, food and maleness...but overflowing with laughter, chatting and femineness. It was a wonderful week capped off with a great group of 76 new girls excited to be Delta Zeta pledges.

As I drove home to Birmingham this afternoon, I was thinking about some of the highlights of the week. There were quite a few...but here's the short list.

--I loved getting to know some of our current actives. I'm pretty sure I mentioned before that I was a senior when the now current seniors were freshman. So, when I walked into the house last Monday I recognized very few faces. By the end of the week, I found myself not only recognizing faces but being able to match faces with names.

--Watching our Serious Night ceremony. No matter how many times I've seen it, it gets me choked up each and every time. The crying was taken to a whole new level this year though because Sarah Beth...the little recruit that I fell in love with three years ago during that same ceremony...was speaking the same lines that I had once said.

--Squeals and pure excitement was all around as the girls read out the bid list...and those things only increased when the new girls rounded the corner running towards the sorority house. It made my heart happy inside to see.




With sweet Sarah Beth on Bid Day. I cannot believe that she is a senior this year. I didn't get any sleep this week, but this girl got even less. She has worked for months to get the best of the best girls and as the bid list was read this morning, it was clear that her hard work had paid off. I could not be more proud of her and all she has accomplished.

Confidential to SB...I'm thankful for the chance you gave me to be your advisor this year, but I'm even more thankful for the blessing it is to have you for a friend. Friend date soon!!


Let me introduce you to Abby Johnson. This cute thing of a girl came along the year after I left. Bummer. I would have loved to be in the house at the same time as her. I remember the girls being excited when she pledged our house two years ago. I had talked to her a few times before, but this week we got the chance to have some deeper conversations. She made me smile, made me laugh and made me cry. She's pretty incredible and is the one that will be teaching all of our new little Delta Zetas what it means to be an active. I can't think of a better person for the job. In addition to taking care of the new girls, she also works on all things t-shirts. Translation, I will get to work with her when I start my new job and I am super excited about that.





I love the faces in these two pictures. I mean...that's pure excitement right there. Excitement for the new girls, excitement for finally reaching upperclassmen status, excitement that rush week is OVER.



Lots of ways to describe this picture....but I think my favorite would have to be this one...

Presidents: Present and Future :)

Posted by Picasa

No comments: