Thursday, April 15, 2010

An Overflowing Closet

Almost a year ago to the day, I sat in my bedroom in Atlanta, Georgia. My large bedroom with two huge walk-in closets and an 8 drawer dresser...all were filled to the kilt with clothes. Don't believe me, ask my roommate.

I had just signed a lease to live in a house in Alabama. The house was precious, but it was an older home...complete with charming details and tiny closets. I wondered how in the world I was going to fit all of my clothes into that tiny space. There was simply no way. I would have to donate some. I immediately began filling garbage bags with things I hadn't worn. Four bags later, I felt better...but the closets were still pretty full. My mind began to wonder...how had this happened?

Growing up, we got clothes for our birthday and Christmas, a new dress for Easter, a few things over the summer and before school started. We didn't buy all that often, but I was never in want. That all changed when I entered college. The mall was much closer, so I found myself purchasing more frequently...and then when I started into working world, it became pretty much a weekly event. I shopped when I was happy. I shopped when I was sad. I shopped when I was bored. I loved to look for a good deal, and it was almost like I got a little rush from finding something on sale. The more I bought, the more I wanted to buy.

Something had to be done...I just didn't know what that something would be. A few days later, I got a crazy and drastic idea. The idea was so crazy and drastic that I decided I would try it.

1 comment:

Whitney Walker Alexander said...

What did you do? What did you do?!?!