Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Here's To The Seniors


I remember August 20, 2006 like it was yesterday. After months of preparation and a week of formal recruitment, I found myself in a room surrounded by 83 freshman girls. Different personalities and different stories, but on that day they had one thing in common---Delta Zeta.

I was a senior that year so I had to do all I could to soak up the one year I had with them. What a blessing that year was. There's just something about being around people that are younger than you that makes you see life in a whole new way...and appreciate it even more than you have before.


From the outside, I was three years older. A senior preparing to graduate. I was the one that was supposed to be teaching and leading, but let me say that group of girls did more for me than I ever thought possible. I had more fun than year than any other year in college. Sure, some of that was because it was my senior year, but a lot of that was because of those girls. They taught me how to relax, laugh and enjoy the moment. They taught me to look for the good in others and in all situations. They taught me that a positive attitude can go a LONG way...and that even "big kids" enjoy getting a gold star every now and then. :)


After I graduated, I did my best to keep up with them over the years. I've enjoyed hearing the updates and the visits. It is clear they have done and will do great things. They have made me so proud.

This week is a special one at the Delta Zeta house...a week set aside each year to honor the graduating seniors. I can't believe those same girls that entered the house in August 2006 are now preparing to leave it. I'm sure this week will be filled with mixed emotions for them, but I hope that the emotion they feel most is not one of sadness or regret, but of happiness, fulfillment and excitement for what comes next.


On August 20, 2006, I heard the question, "Did you get a good pledge class?" more than I can count. I always said "it looks like it, but we'll have to wait and see." Now, almost four later, I wish I could find all of the people that asked me that question. If I could, I would say, "We did. We most certainly did."

To the pledge class of 2006:

Last week I pulled out an old journal. I found the entry from August 2006 where I had written down each of your names. Just as I did then, I began praying for each of you by name. Prayers of thankfulness for what you've meant to me over the years, prayers for knowledge to know what to do next, prayers of blessing for your futures. What a privilege it is been to lift up you up in prayer.

no...I didn't already have these pictures. I've been stalking their facebook accounts for weeks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through Lysa's. So glad I stumbled across it. I love your posts, but this one makes me want to find my old sorority badge and get involved with the local alumni chapter.

You're blessed to have those girls, but it sounds like they should be pretty thankful to have you too!