Saturday, April 23, 2011

A Ring for the Roomie

There are some moments in life that no matter how much time passes, you are still able to remember every single detail. One of those moments is the time a little over 8 years ago. I was a senior in high school, visiting The University of Alabama, and I met Lauren for the first time.

I'm actually going to skip over the details because that's not the purpose of this story...maybe another time...but the thing to know is that at the end of the day, we decided that we would be roommates the upcoming fall.


I can't tell you how many times I've thought back to my freshman year and said a prayer of thankfulness for the opportunity to live with Lauren. We weren't exactly alike by any means, but we respected each other and enjoyed spending time with each other...and all these years later, I can't think of a time that we ever fought.


While we were only roommates for one year, but our senior year, we were pretty much attached at the hip. We had all but one class together, and were always in each other's group for group projects. I pity her for having to put up with me, but there was no way that I was going to be in a group with anyone but her...a true marketing genius!

As it so often does, graduation forced us to part ways,. However, we've always managed to find a way to see each other at least a few times a year. This past visit was just a few weeks ago and I must say it was one of my favorites.


Lauren's parents have recently build a beautiful home in our old college town. She had planned to make a trip down to see them, and the trip only got better when she became engaged the weekend before. Once I found out that she was going to be in town for a few days, I knew I would have to make the drive down. There was just no way I was going to pass up seeing one of my favorite people, her new fiance, her precious family, and the RING!

It was the perfect time to get caught up on each other's current life as well as exchange stories from some of our more memorable college times...we definitely had some that we will never forget!!



As I drove home that night, I just kept thinking how grateful I was that it was the Lord's plan for Lauren to be my first roommate. She was the perfect match for me. One of the best people to go through college with.

Now, I'm thrilled beyond belief that she has found a perfect match in Griffin, and the perfect person to spend the rest of her life with.

No comments: